jueves, 6 de febrero de 2014

Week 1, Introduction to Music Production. Microphones by Type.

Hi, my name is Angel Ibis Ortiz, I’m from Querétaro, México. I think it's a beautiful city, so you are invited whenever you want.


Microphones by Type

First, I have to say that microphones are like guitars, each model has its own sound and we must know everything about them to determine which one to choose.

How do they work?

Microphones are transducers and they can convert sound pressure variations in voltage variations.



Shure SM57

Dynamic microphones have a magnetic structure around a suspended diaphragm. And when the diaphragm (which is a coil) receives sound pressure, proportional voltage is produced. They can be used in many applications, especially on stage. For price and versatility my favorite is the Shure SM57and I love the MD421.



RCA 44

Ribbon microphones are very similar to a dynamic microphone structure, but instead of having a diaphragm, these have a thin strip of aluminum. These are fragile and easily damaged. Not everyone needs phantom power, some could melt or permanently damaged if applied. They have a unique sound, and they are normally used in studio, but there are new models that can also be used on stage. Unfortunately I've never used one of these.




AKG C414

Condenser microphones have two parallel plates. A diaphragm lined with gold or nickel and a stationary plate. When phantom power is applied, work together to create a capacitance that varies with changes in sound pressure exerted on the diaphragm. They are more commonly used in studio, but there are models created for use on stage. Just now I'm recording on a RODE NT2-A and I have recorded drums, flute, amplified guitar, acoustic guitar, vocals and other instruments with this microphone and I think it's wonderful.



RODE M5
The electret-condenser microphones, do not require phantom power to feed the capacitor, since they have a permanent static electric charge. But they do need phantom voltage to power a preamp after the capsule. As condenser microphones, they also are used mainly in the study. Unfortunately I've have not used one of these.









Well, that's all for now. I know my English is not very good but hope I used the correct terms. I tried very hard to make a video, I made several shots, but my pronunciation is not so good. I'll keep trying. Please let me know any details you notice. Thank you.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario